Thursday, June 4, 2015

An Error and a Triple Play

In a few days we'll be remembering the 71st anniversary of the Allied invasion of France, commonly called "D-Day".  The History Channel and the American Heroes Channel have been showing specials about the preparation leading up to the invasion.  I've watched my fair share of them as I enjoy military history. 

But I came across a part of the story I hadn't heard before.  It seems that an errant AP report on June 3, 1944 caused quite a stir, including at the Polo Grounds.
     Baseball fans at the Polo Grounds in New York also stood and observed a minute's silence when the flash reached them by public address system.

Morning Advocate (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) - June 4, 1944


The newspaper report about the game doesn't mention the moment of silence, but does mention the triple play (Gustine to Zak to Dahlgren).

Dallas Morning News - June 4, 1944

Here's RetroSheet's box score of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment